Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Took an involuntary hiatus...

Last saturday, on my way to join the gym (new year's resolution), I slipped on water covered ice and broke my ankle. I didn't just brake my ankle, but had a displaced compound fracture that required 3 surgies, 10 screws, a metal plate and a 12 day hospital stay to sort of fix. I say sort of because I'm sitting at home in my chair with a wound vac under my boot sucking away and IV antibiotics flowing into my veins. So, the prognosis, surprisingly good given the doctor said it was one of the worst breaks he had ever seen. He managed to get everything reconnected and I should have full range of motion several months downt he road.

I'll be non-weight bearing for 5-6 more weeks. The wound vac should just be on 1-2 more weeks and the IV antibiotics should continue for 3-4 more weeks. Wee Fun. Needless to say I'm not going to be leaving my house for several weeks and should have lots of knitting time. I guess that's the silver lining if there is in this situation.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Um...ouch! Well, be a good girl and do what the doctor says and hopefully you'll recover quickly. Does this get you out of work for the next 5-6 weeks, too?!

    Girlfriend, I'll be sending prayer and good vibes for a speedy recovery!!

    -CAT

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger bethc said…

    Oh no! Hang in there and do some great knitting and TV watching.

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Blogger Laurie said…

    Wow...that's a painful injury! I once fell and tore all the ligaments in my right ankle. The doc's words were, "The BAD news is it isn't broken." I know a woman who had an injury similar to yours - after she got all her "hardware" removed, she had it made into a very cool looking necklace! Rest well...loved your Snowpocalypse - we're having one of those here in Ohio today!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Christy said…

    Oh Gwen! I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle. Heal quickly!

    It's a good time to be stuck inside, though. No shoveling for you! I haven't been to Cosi in forever because I'm pregnant and on bed rest. I'm knitting like crazy and looking forward to seeing everyone after the baby's born!

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger greekmiss said…

    Oh Gwen - so sorry to hear! 2 years ago I broke my ankle as well - pretty badly, but not as badly as yours. I had 7 screws and a 5" plate put in to put my ankle back together so I'm close! ;) Well, the only thing I can say is take it easy, have friends come over to keep you company (you're going to get tired of seeing the same 4 walls) and when you get to rehab - push yourself! and push yourself hard! I luckily ran into a surgeon who told me that my recovery is not based on how well the surgery went but rather how hard you push yourself to do exercises in rehab once you slowly get back on your feet.
    I hope you feel better!
    -G

     

Post a Comment

<< Home