Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowpocolypse

One of my knitter friends deemed this "snowpocolypse" and I liked it...certainly better than "snowmageddon" a la the local news team. So, we got like 20 inches of snow on Saturday. This is what 20" of snow looks like after it blows into deep drifts around cars.
The car on the left is my car, yes the one where you can only see half a bumper. My neighbor to the right made the bold move to clean his car during the middle of the snowstorm yesterday.
I will thank my lovely neighbor, Jenny, for lending me her snow shovel so I could partially dig my car out of the snow bank. After two 1 hour sessions, I managed to clear the snow drift behind the car, the snow off the top of the car and dug the drivers side door out to the point where I can actually open it to get in, should I have the crazy desire to leave my house. The snow on the passenger side is piled up as high to mid-window. I gave up because was freezing and had spaghetti arms before I could get that far. The office is closed tomorrow since the government closed. Yipee. I'd say snow day, but I have plenty of work I can do from home .and .a meeting that we're going to have via e-mail.
Well, the unexpected time at home let me a lot of time to finish some knitting. First, I finished Sabine, which was the second of 2 kits I bought from Bagsmith last year. It's one of those things that will climb the strings as you pull on them. She's super cute. I did redesign the dress to be knit in the round with different yarn, because I liked it better.
I also finished some gloves and a hat for the daughter of a friend. It's the Owl hat pattern on the hat and Jack-in-the Box glove pattern from Knitting New mittens and Gloves.

Finally, we said a sad goodby to a well loved and well-worn pair of socks this morning. I put them on to go out into the snow and "Oh Darn" there was a hold. A quiet peaceful funeral was had in the local trash receptacle. Must knit more socks in 2010. That's like the third pair of socks with a hole and I haven't finished any this year.

Other than that, I ask for everyone's good thoughts and keep your fingers crossed that I can actually fly out on Tuesday to go home for xmas. One of my neighbors drove all the way to the airport this afternoon only to have his flight canceled. Fingers crossed that flights get going out by Tuesday.



2 Comments:

  • At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Jenn said…

    I watched the news on Saturday and thought of you! I hope you do make it out on Tues! My SIL and family made it out Friday night before the giant snow dumped on the area.

    Have a great Christmas; hope we can get together while you're in town!!!

    The knitting looks great, too! i love the hat.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My sympathies on your socks! :( And I really hope you do make it out on Tuesday! Have a great holiday and, if I don't see you, a great new years, too...

    I'm looking forward to lots of relaxing knitting time...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home