Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Saturday, August 20, 2005

The mad scientist tea party

Two women, 14 skeins of yarn and an array of koolaid, wilton cake dyes an array of analyne (sp?) dyes and two very large glasses of tea left us with fun stuff...

At the first party, I was a bit hesitant and couldn't figure out what I wanted to do. I had no problems trying out the fun and unusual this time...

This first skein of fingering weight is half Changin' Cherry koolaid dyed and half pink analyne dyed dyed in the ball.

It yeilded yarn that looks a bit like a peppermint candy. I pushed down on the ball in the dye, the middle still had a fair bit of the white left. I kind of like the overall effect. I would definitely keep in mind how hard it was to get the dye into the middle if I tried it again.

The next two skeins was some very old mohair rescued by my aunt from my grandparent's house along with the monster swift some time ago. Good yarn never goes out of style.

The blue skein was done in a ball with a turkey injector with pink and light blue analyne dye. The second was actually a ball of this really pale pink mohair to begin with and I overdyed it with a black wilton dye. It turned out rather nicely.

These two skeins are done with light blue, royal blue, light green, and turquoise analyne dyes.

The final 3 skeins of laceweight were done with pink, royal blue, light blue and purple dye.

All in all, it was a fun experience. The analyne dyes turn out more brilliantly than the koolaid dyes with less used. I still have one more skein of laceweight to play around with. I think I want to play with more of the overdying. It was fun. I'll leave everyone with the moral of our day spent dyeing....

She who wears plastic gloves does not end up with blue fingers... (Susie...)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger Blu486 said…

    I kinda LIKE my blue fingers! Go with the rest of me! hahahahahaha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home