Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Sunday, April 26, 2009

The end of an era?

I've been a subscriber to Interweave Knits magazine for the past 6 years and my last issue on my current subscription ended today and I honestly don't think that I'm going to pay to renew and this greatly saddens my heart because I so want to support publications like this, but I just feel like in the past issues, there isn't anything I'm dying to knit. I had great hopes when I heard Eunny Jang was taking over as editor, but still not in love.

I feel as if this edition is just retreading designs that have already been done. The Stanwyk pullover reminds me of a lot of Maude (ravelry link). The Elemental boatneck, reminds me a lot of Green Gable. The wrap cardigan has nothing new to offer either. Even the pleat skirt I've seen elsewhere.

I also feel like I missing some of the fun minutia that was at the beginning of the magazine. There wasn't any fun little history story. The new tools was hidden and looked like an ad. The lace article didn't offer anything new either. The knitted art article was cool, but that was it. I still hate that they've done the Vogue thing and stuck all the pictures in the beginning and then the patterns later in the magazine. You loose the can't wait to turn the page feel. Overall, I was generally just blah.

I want to be inspired!!

3 Comments:

  • At 2:38 PM, Anonymous JessaLu said…

    I just renewed but I'm wondering if I should have bothered. :o(

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    So sad, but so true. This last issue reminded me too much of Knitter's with the crayon colors and stupid textures. I used to pour over the new issues, and now they get thumbed through a time or two and relegated to the magazine pile. I'm glad it's not just me, because I was thinking I was just in a lull because I have been working on the twins' sweaters and only the twins' sweaters until they're done.

     
  • At 4:04 PM, Blogger greekmiss said…

    Hi Gwen - don't feel bad...I completely agree! I've had a horrible time falling in love with most of the knitting magazines that are out there right now. I used to subscribe to both Interweave and Vogue but don't receive either now. Instead I go to the book store and browse both (and a few others) to see if there is anything I love and buy the magazine if I do find something I love. I feel bad as well, but also feel as though I'm being jipped when there is nothing in an entire magazine front to back that I don't want to make...
    I just wanted you to know that you're not alone...and by the way - I want to be inspired too!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home