Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Friday, November 11, 2005

The yearly dilemna...

The most dreaded day of the year.... It came in the mail today...the dreaded invitation to the company's holiday party. Most of the employees look forward to this day with anticipation and glee. Dinner, drinks, valet parking, dressing up all on the firm. Yippeee.

Then there are those few of us single people that look upon that invitation in our mail boxes with utter dread and loathing. Then the debate becomes do I:

a. Spend $150-$200 for a dress (yes, it is a formal affair) and go it alone, destined to sit at a table mostly filled with people I don't know and their guests (because, of course, we have assigned seating...)

b. Browbeat some male of questionable acquaintance into accompanying me to the holiday party with promises of free alcohol.

c. Stay at home,spend the $200 on me - Yarn (I've been coveting some yarn from handpaints.com) and shoes (overstock.com has some Dr. Marten Mary Janes) - and endure the "Why weren't you at the Holiday party?" and "We missed you at the Holiday party?" etc. til the break for the Holidays (a whole 10 days off should cure the "why weren't you...")

So, I ask of you, the seven people that read my blog on a regular basis. What should I do?

7 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I vote for spending the money on yarn!

    Wendy (remember me?)

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You have to ask?? Remember who these readers are? Knitters!! Buy the yarn, and knit while you answer there rude comments!

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Kristin said…

    I would go to the party alone (who cares about a boy), make an appearance so that no one wonders where you were, wear something you already have. Then spend the money on yarn too. Then you have the best of both worlds.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with Kristin. Or you could invite a female companion and raise a whole new set of questions! :) Just kidding, if you don't already have a dress from last year, stay home and knit. Sounds like it would be much more satisfying for you!

    Happy Holidays!

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I vote with Wendy...spend the money on yarn. Why put yourself through the misery of the party- assigned seating for a company event????? Eek!

    Besides, I love living vicariously through your knitting stories! (I may never finish Adam's sweater!)

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Lissa said…

    Hi gwen! I am so shy, a party like that would be torture for me, so i would stay home with a movie and my new yarn :) it was so nice to hear from you the other day, and i'll definatly be dropping by more often. PS I'm working on hubby for the alpaca ;)

     
  • At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Reader #7 checking in here... ;-)

    First, consider the actual total cost of what you would spend for the dinner. Then, take another tack. Perhaps pick up some fabulous takeout dinner, buy (not rent) a video you've been wanting forever, and spend the rest on souvenir yarn...and a pattern...and some new needles...and actually use the yarn to make something gorgeous and rich and luxurious for yourself.

    I'm certainly social enough to enjoy parties, but they slip into oblivion in short order. A merino/silk/angora shrug or cashmere socks will be forever...and a constant reminder that you deserve to treat yourself well.

    Do NOT let anyone bully you into going if you don't want to. Have a lovely, sumptuous dinner, movie and knit night(s).

    Blessings,
    Susie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home