Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Okay. Here they are my favorite pair of socks to date. They've been finished for quite awhile. One of them even hung in the Knitorious yarn store for awhile as "the perfect sock." I finished the second and then did not let myself weave in the ends because I knew that I would want to wear them and keep them for myself instead of giving them to their intended recipient. They have been taunting me for weeks... They are my sister-in-laws birthday socks.

They are fraternal, but I actually find them more endearing for not being perfectly matched. I love how perfectly the heels worked out. (I'm having great luck with heels these days.)

So, my brother and SIL are in town for a wedding this weekend so I finally wove in the ends Thurs night and gave them to her today (belated birthday gift because I left for business in Chicago w/o sending them to her - Sorry Alicia!). The tops even matched.

A few weeks ago, I was totally excited by the fact that my aunt had found a swift in my grandmother's basement, but I never got back to the swift itself, and it's a topic that should be addressed. My grandmother was an avid weaver and knitter with an emphasis on weaver. My grandmother passed away more than 10 years ago and had been ill for several years before, so there is no telling how old the swift is. So, I knew it was not one of the new ones made out of what looks like balsa wood or a metal one, but I was not quite prepared for my first view of the actual swift. It's HUGE. It's a swift on Steroids. To give you a clue as to how big it it, here is a photo of the swift while folded next to my size 7 shoe.

And here is the swift at full extension. The wingspan about the same as the table it's attached to.

Here is the swift extended to a length to do a normal hank of yarn, notice my totally awesome kool-aid dyed yarn being modeled.

Not that I'm sayng that this is a bad thing or that I won't be using the swift to help wind the 40+ hanks of yarn that I need to work on various projects. But it does look pretty funny. It took me quite awhile to get it fixed up. I kept thinking that it was going to tip over any table that I hooked it to.

Speaking of things forgotten. The new shower head is pure bliss. I used to take 5 minute quicky showers in the morning and now I can't drag myself out of it in the morning. It's absolutely wonderful!!!! If I proceed with my plan to buy a new bed, I'll never make it to work in the morning...

2 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you do get a new bed, better make sure to turn up the alarm clock all the way up, and put it in the next room, so you might stand a chance of getting up! I remember what it was like living with you!!! :) Have fun with your "new" toy...it looks very fun.

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They're my favorite socks too!!! Thank you!

    Alicia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home