Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Sadest day of the year so far...

It was a sad, sad day in the world. The Hockey season was officially canceled. It never really felt like winter this year without at least one game (I'm ignoring the possibility that unseasonably warm temperatures could be a factor, so bear with me). Such sadness. Oh, the humanity. I might have to go watch the River Otters just to get my fix. Will there be hockey next year?? Who knows. I'm a fan, but I'm not one of those people who's never going to go to another game because they canceled a season. That's ridiculous. Of course, this whole thing has been ridiculous so who am I to judge. I think the ridiculous amounts of money players of all sports get are just ridiculous. Of course, I don't think that the owners necessarily need to pocket all the profits either. I think the ones being edged out are the fans who are expected to pony up more and more money each year for the same nose bleed seats. Okay, rant over.

I've decided what I'm going to do with my newly hand dyed skeins of yarn. I'm going to try the Flower Basket Shawl from the Fall Interweave Magazine. It says to use lace-weight (437 yds), but to use two strands of it. I really hate to do lace with doubled up yarn, what a pain. I'd drop stitches and pick up extra's all over the place. So, I figure the DK weight will be a good substitute. I don't care about gauge really because it's a shawl, we're going for drapey, not exact fit. I'm going to use the purpley/bluish/creamish skein for that. Here's hoping it turns out well. If it doesn't, I can just frog and start something else. I've decided on socks for the other skein. What else do you do with bright blue/green/yellow/orange verigated yarn?

I'm done with the Debbie Bliss baby sweater except for sewing it together. Working 2 sleeves at the same time is so much easier. Although, next time, I will work from two balls because working with the 2 ends of one skein kept getting tangled up. My industrious co-workers have started a pool on the arrival date of the baby, so I will have to finish the sweater this weekend. Pictures upon completion. Probably this weekend.

One of my collegues in a similar role, described our job as adult baby sister. Tonight was feed the natives (co-workers working late) night and on a personal note, knit night. Thankfully, dinner is done in time for me to make it to knit night. That would have been a deal breaker on wednesday night for dinners.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've totally felt like something was missing this year. My jersey has just been hanging lonely in the closet. :( Let me know if you go to an Otters game, I may have to join you!

    -Colleen

     

Post a Comment

<< Home