Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Hurrah!!! Yarn Delivery!!! Well, to be honest, it came 2 days ago, but I haven't had a spare second to blog since then. Yarn has that unerring ability to arrive at the most fortuitious time, like after you've had a long...long...12+ hour day of meetings and it's 10:30pm, you have a headache and you know you have to get up early the next day to return to more meetings and then, there it is...the package of yarn from Knitpicks... Ahhhh....Everything is all better now. I immediately ripped into the box, too quickly it seems since I gave myself a box cut on my thumb that bled and bled and hurt like the dickins' and delayed the joy of touching new yarn, because I didn't want to get any blood on it. Okay, so thumb is properly bandaged to assure no leakage, back to the yarn. Ahhhh.

I have mixed feelings about what I ordered. I had ordered some of the sock yarn, both the Sock Garden and the Simply Stripes. The simply stripes was everything I imagined and I think it will look great knit up. The Sock Garden, not as happy with. The yarn feels fabulous, don't get me wrong. It's a color thing. I ordered the Hydrangea color. On line, it looks all different muted shades of purples with a little pink mixed in. The skeins I got, more of a lot of pink with some purple mixed it and the colors are so bright. All in all, I think I'll like it a lot after I get over the disappointment about the color. I also got some of the Wool. Even though I knew the yardage, I expected the skeins to be bigger, thicker, longer, something. Also the yarn looks thinner than the stitch count/needle size would predict. Only swatching will tell I guess. Colors on these were exactly what was expected. Very good. The best of the bunch that I ordered though was the Alpaca Cloud. I ordered it in Peppermint. It looks exactly like I imagined. The weight of it is what I was expecting and it feels amazing. I can't stop petting it. Everyone I show it too pets it as well. It's addicting. Ellen brought her Knitpicks selections to knitting last night as well. She had some of the silk/alpaca mix which was amazing and the silk, which was okay(in my opinion). Ellen had also bought some of the sock garden yarn and the color was not what she had expected either. Nancy was happy to take it off her hands for her. Ellen also had some of the Sock Landscapes, which I liked better. If I order again, I will probably get some of that. A word of warning to those ordering, just because the Sock Landscapes kind of looks like Koigu it is not koigu, but is good when judged by itself. See, much more pink than on-line


So, on to real life. I've been co-hosting some meetings in town for about 30 people from my company. How exhausting. Tuesday went until 10:30 and yesterday from 8-5pm. I was never so glad to get out of someplace in my life. When I got to knit night last night, I didn't know how long I was going to stay because I was so tired & stressed out from trying to manage everything (food, lodging, transportation, technical glitches, etc.). But, as usual, it was so good to get together with everyone and just knit and talk about what everyone was doing. I ended up staying until almost 10pm, in spite of the snow. Thankfully, everyone got on their planes last night and returned to their place of origin leaving me in peace today. The e-mail system was down and I didn't have phone access, so the day was rather relaxing after all the hubub.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate cardboard cuts! THey're the pits!

    I really like the pink/purple yarn. I think it'll look great after it's all knitted up!

    Kelly

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Teri said…

    Funny...that looks muted on my monitor. Thanks for the feedback on the Knitpicks Yarn. I've been wondering about them since I received the catalog.

    Hope your thumb is feeling better!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home