Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Secret Pals 4

I remember last fall, on an evening of blog reading, I encountered a blog of a knitter who had just gotten a gift from her Secret Pal. I thought "What fun! How do I get in on this???" Well of course, I was to late to get in on it, but I soon found the Secret Pals for and waited anxiously for January to roll around so I could sign up for Secret Pals 4. I can't wait to get my secret pal!!! This should be fun. I love secrets. I love surprising people. I can't wait.

So, here are my answers to the questions:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high- end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you? Sadly,I am a yarn snob. I'm a touchy person. Part of the reason that I like to knit so much is that I love the feel of real fibers running through my fingers. I love the softness of angora, the fuzzy mohair and even the scratchiness of lopi. With acrylic yarns, it's sometimes that fingernails on a chalkboard feeling, whether real or mental recoil reaction (It could be all in my crazy little head).

2. Do you spin? Crochet? No and no. I sometimes think about spinning, but am trying to limit my vices. I've tried crocheting and, although I have no tension problems in knitting, my crocheting keeps shrinking and getting tighter and I just can't fix it.

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.) Allergic to a lot of perfumes and soaps. It's a skin reaction, not smell.

4. How long have you been knitting? 2 years.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other on-line wish list? I have an amazon list.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Jasmine or Pear

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Absolutely! I love tart sweets and, of course, chocolate.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I used to have other crafty hobbies before knitting took over my life. I used to cross-stitch and do a little scrapbooking, but if I have free time nowadays, I spend it knitting or reading or reading blogs and knitting at the same time

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) My computer can play MP3s, but unfortunately, not my stereo. I'm an equal opportunity listener for the most part and what I listen to is a product of my mood. I love loud fast music for the drive home after work (The Killers are my current favorite), especially on sunny summer afternoons with the top down. I listen to peppy music in the mornings in a vain attempt to wake myself up before I get to work. For those mellow afternoons of knitting, I like James Taylor, Van Morrison, Sarah McLachlan, you get the picture. I also like classical music. I'm a huge parrothead and love BNL.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Favorite color is red. I also love pinks. And any shade of red or pink. I like sagey greens, autumn orange and plum purples, but not dark greens, bright orange or lavender. So, a fall palette seems to be the current favorite even though it's almost spring.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Single and free. No pets. I have a hard enough time keeping myself alive at times. I have a new baby niece who is the light of my life. Such a cutie pie!

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know) I'd really love to do an "Under the Tuscan Sun" and buy a villa in Tuscany to live in and write a novel. I'm (fingers-crossed) going to Italy this fall. Maybe if I win the lottery...

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? I don't think I've done enough knitting to zero in on a favorite yarn because I've used something different with each project.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Red heart and not a big fan of novelty yarns. I bought some Amelie because I love the feel. I pet the ball all the time, but can't seem to translate it into a project yet.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Scarves!!!! It was that scarf style book that started it. I've been making scarves for several months. Did I keep one for myself yet???

No. 16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Socks!!! The problem being, I keep making them for other people and not myself. I've made 9 pairs and only kept 3 for myself. When I christmas shop, the rule is 1 present for someone else, one for me. Shouldn't the sock policy be the same??? I need to get cracking as I am currently knitting 2 pairs of socks for other people and none for me.

17. What are you knitting right now? Faina's Scarf (80% complete), Ruffles scarf from Scarf Style, Socks in Soccotta striped yarn, and some more socks in a regia striped yarn and seaming for the Two-Toned sweater from Sally Melville's the Pearl stitch.

18. What do you think about ponchos? I'm not a small person and I'm rather on the short side. I think I look rather like Jaba the Hut in a poncho.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Both depending on the project. Large projects (i.e. baby blanket) definitely circular, Scarves - straight needles all the way.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Bamboo or aluminum, again depending on the project. Always Bamboo in double points. Things always slide off the aluminium double points. Again, a Gwen mental issue, I'm sure.

21. Are you a sock knitter? Yes. I think it stems from my shoe thing. Yes, I have a shoe thing. Socks naturally go with shoes. I learned to knit so I could knit socks. My friend Beth had the coolest pair of socks that she had knit herself and I HAD to learn.

22. How did you learn to knit? Beth, Technical goddess and owner of the aforementioned socks, taught a group of us girls(mostly college friends) to knit about two years ago.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? 1.7 years. Faina's scarf was the second project I started after learning to knit. I was afraid of the socks for awhile. I go through Faina phases. I'll work on it for 3 nights in a row and put it on hold for 2-3 weeks. In my defense, I frogged it after two pattern repeats because I finally figured out how to fix my twisted stitches. It continues to amaze me how far I've come in two years.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? Garfield is my idol. Anyone who can lie around all day long and live the life that he does. I'm also a huge lover of Lasagna. Mmmm. Favorite animal is a Flamingo. Pink Birds that stand on one leg, got to love it.

25. What is your favorite holiday? I'm a huge holiday person in general, but I would have to say, my favorite holiday is Christmas. I love the tree, the decorations, I love that everyone seems to have a renewal of hope each year, everyone believes. I love Santa. I love to watch people open gifts and see their reactions.

26. Is there anything that you collect? Shoes. The actual ones that go on my feet and then things with a shoe motif. I don't collect the little Hallmark shoes, but other things. I have coasters with shoes, shoe picture frames, shoe photo holders, shoe books and calendars, and even a shoe candle holder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home