Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Friday, November 18, 2005

So, I got a copy of the Yarn Harlot, and I just love her stories. For those of you who've read it, the little vignette about the lost double point needle reminded me so much of my mother that I laughed to tears. I could see my mother doing exactly the same thing...if she was a knitter.

So, enough of the book review, on to the point of this post. Stephanie talks about how she divides her stash into categories and has a category that includes "souvenir yarn." I got to thinking about my stash and how I have some of the most amazing and wonderful handspun Angora. Angora that I take out every now and again and imagine all the wonderful things I could make with it. Then I carefully put it back into it's bag and back in it's drawer because I know I could never knit something as wonderful as to deserve that yarn. It's absolutely crazy I know. I could make a beautiful scarf that could nestle against my skin and keep me warm now that it's getting cold. I can almost feel how wonderful it would be, and yet, it remains in it's skein, in it's drawer safe and protected. I got some beautiful magenta cashmere/wool yarn from China from my sockapal2za that is swiftly rising in stature to equal the Angora. I had that out last night admiring it. Again, what pattern could be so special that I would use cashmere yarn from china???? And if the pattern is so special as to deserve this yarn, could I do it justice. As you've guessed by now, it's gone back into it's bag and into it's drawer as well.

My first thought was that I have become one of those people stockpiling food in their homes for the end of the world. I'm trying to make sure that I have enough yarn should all the sheep die in the same day or the world come to an end. I'd have yarn. But, that analogy didn't really work. True, I have enough sock yarn to make 20 pairs. At my current rate of 7 pairs per year, we could consider this hoarding, but my stash doesn't compare to that. What I have become is a collector. My mother collects bells. We bring her bells from all over the place. She appreciates the unusual ones for their uniqueness. She has plain bells that ring with the most amazing tones. She has a bell from each place she has visited to commemorate the vacation. My mother collects bells like I collect my special stash. The Angora was a gift from my secret pal. The cashmere/wool a gift from my sockapal2za. They have become the cornerstones of my collection.

On one final note, everyone needs to go over to Lissa's blog and offer sympathy since she endured 9 hours of dental surgery on Wednesday. I think she should march right down to her local yarn store (as soon as she recovers) and buy herself something special.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home