Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Working downtown...

I used to say that I would never work downtown. Drive all that way in traffic. Get up early to get on the road with all the maniacs???? Not me, no way. Then of course, I got offered an opportunity too good to pass up. So, I join the thousands of commuters on Highway 40 everymorning slowly inching my way downtown. I've been trying to figure out if I'm going slow enough to knit. My boss reads her blackberry, why couldn't I knit. Okay, I understand, a bit scary for the other roadsters as the fact that I get into that zone when I get in the car in the morning and the next thing I know, I've been on the road for a half-an-hour and I'm almost to work. So, what brought on this treatise on commuting? I've discovered how fun it is to work downtown where so much goes on during the day. Cardinals rally on Monday. Today's Cardinals playoff game, although I lost two raffles for the same two game tickets :-( I work in one of the buildings overlooking the stadium and we can see the outfield, the jumbotron and lots of fans. So everytime something good happens, the crowd cheers and suddenly anyone who did not manage to snag tickets to the game is standing pressed against the windows straining to see the jumbotron. Good thing the window washers were by last week is all I can say.

Anyway, I decided this evening that I need to make a baby blanket. It's for a friend from college, but we're not all that close anymore and since she already has a two year old, have a feeling will need to be acrylic. So I went to Michaels to buy yarn and bought it home. I didn't realize I had become such a yarn snob. It almost grates on my fingers as I knit. It's that I'm fake and you're using me anyway. We're not talking Pound of Love here or anything. I did spring for the Bernat baby coordinates yarn. Just not enjoyable. Anyway, I've got to finish it in a hurry because I'll see her this weekend and I'm giving another college friend, also pregnant, a gift so I couldn't leave her out. So, I decided on the super easy dishcloth pattern hoping it will go fast. 10 inches done on the angle, wish me luck.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, girl! Good luck on your baby balnket! As for knitting while driving, I do it all the time. Long stop light? I knit. Multple cycles of stop light? I knit. Traffic that is going 30mph or slower? I knit. Drive up windows, getting your oil changed, going through the car wash... all opportunities to knit. Just don't knit anything that has complex stitch patterns or lots of counting, since you frequently have to put it down in the middle of a row/round. (You'll feel torn: "I need to move my car upp, but I want to finish this row!!!")
    Kelly

     

Post a Comment

<< Home