Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Thursday, September 16, 2004

Walking and walking and walking...

Never ask a cop in NYC if you can walk from Ground Zero to Chinatown. Obviously these guys spend most of their time walking so don't think that 20 odd blocks is a great distance. All I can say is "Oh my god, I thought I was going to die." We didn't have a map. We kept asking people where we were going (Thanks to all the New Yorkers who actually took a second to direct us...). Stupid tourists. The worst thing is, we were walking around town in business dress so people assumed we lived in NYC and we asking us for directions. Needless to say I took the walking tour of NYC. From our hotel to Rockefeller Center to Times Square, down 5th Ave. and back to the hotel. Cab to Ground Zero (more about this later). The long, long, did I mention long? trek to Chinatown and then on to Little Italy for lunch.

Number 1 important thing to know, yes I know you will fall over dead, but I did not buy anything but a post card in NYC. Yes, I walking in and out of stores on fifth avenue and didn't buy anything. I must be sick. I can't believe it even now.

Ground Zero. Even three years later, they are still rebuilding the buildings around it. It's horrifying to see this hole in the ground. At one place there is this twisted steel pillar left that looks like a cross. I could but stare. There were tons of people looking. I read the names and we remembered where we were on 9/11. There was a very poignant moment when I saw a young girl walk up to the fence. She put her hand to her mouth and began to sob. It was all I could do not to cry with her.

Chinatown was fun in a weird sort of way. All of these people keep coming up to you and whispering "Louis Vittan??" Can't sell knock offs on the street anymore so they hide them in the back and bring them out to scam you. Also, never saw so many cheap t-shirt shops with the rudest sayings on them.

Little Italy was great. They were getting ready for a street fair so they were erecting all of these booths along the streets (all closed to traffic). Had a fabulous lunch at Angelos on Mulberry street. One thing, what the heck is a fried oreo? All of these little booths were selling Fried Oreos. We were greatly intrigued.

So, all in all, New York City. Great place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. There were too many people on the streets and the buildings were to tall and I felt like I was being closed in. Yikes!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Gwen, what about the words "fried" and "oreo" made you NOT buy one? I would probably eat a boiled oreo if someone was selling them and it looked like others were eating them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home