Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Monday, September 13, 2004

Found...one lost sock...

Yes, after bemoaning the lost sock for months, guess what I found tonight. Yes, Kelly's missing birthday sock. UGGHHHH!!! I had looked everywhere. I tore apart my family room. I moved couches. I picked up my bedroom. I searched my dining room, my stash, I emptied my knitting bag several times and no where. Where was the sock you might ask. In the inside pocket of my carry on bag. I don't know where I went that I stuck it in there. I don't remember sticking it in there. I can't believe it. So, I guess I'll give the exra sock to my sister in case her dryer eats one or something...

Life is very weird sometime (and I'm talking about more than the missing sock). I attended the baptism of a baby of one of my friends this weekend. I had never been to her church before and it was very different from my own. What struck me was there was this woman sitting in a comfortable rocking chair up near the "altar" (don't know what they call it in a Methodist church). She sat there and knitted throughout the entire service and baptism., and quite frankly I was very jealous. Comfortable chair and knitting. I was all for it. Anyway, I was wondering what was going on. Did this normally happen. Then out of boredom when the preist started his sermon, I happened to read the little pamphlet they handed me when I entered. There it was in writing "Knitting in God." They finally got around to a program about the Prayer Shawl ministry at the church (which was very interesting) and then the preist (yes I'm catholic and I don't know what anyone else call their churchmen/women) did a little speach about knitting god into your life in lots of little ways, like kniting stitches to bring about a whole. Very interesting metaphor for me a knitter, but I don't know how effective for the rest of the congregation.

Going to New York tomorrow! Yippee!!!! More about that on Thursday when I get back. I've got to wear business dress so, I'm going to be the best dressed person in the yarn store.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:57 PM, Blogger Teri said…

    You found it! Congratulations!

    Guess you won't be making a fourth 2nd sock, will you?

    Ah well, at least we can all rest easy that there isn't a sock snatcher at B&N.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Beth said…

    You Catholics, so religo-centric. ;) "Altar" is a pretty generic term for "that table up there" or "that raised area up there". I think it's safe to use in any Christian setting, and then some. You could also say "front of the church" which would definitely apply to everyone, including Catholic churches, and wouldn't belie your ignorance. And you've heard of the word "Pastor"? I think that would also be a good generic all-applicable term. Catholics are the only ones who have a special term, "Priest", as far as I know (Episcopalians - Priest? maybe.) If you want to know for sure, just look in the bulletin or program, it should give some basic information about the church, like who the pastor and secretary and music people are, etc. If they have some special name, it'll be there. It's just basic English language, nothing fancy or difficult. You knew the word "sermon", and some people call that a "homily". Most Christian religions will be more similar than they are different, especially if you're just looking at their worship service. (Especially the bigger, more common ones, like Catholic, Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Baptist, etc.) Sounds like the person knitting at the front was a one-time deal to promote the shawl program. Maybe you should start a prayer shawl ministry at your church, and then some sunday you can sit up front to promote it!

    Congratulations on finding the sock. Sorry I don't have more yarn to give you to make another, so you'd have two pairs. At least we know it wasn't swiped by some bitter Barnes & Noble employee.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home