Shoes and Yarn

This blog is dedicated to my search for the perfect shoes and the perfect yarn.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Have Princesses lost their glitter...

or have I become cynical??? I was in a princess mood I guess, so I rented The Prince and Me and Ella Enchanted this evening. Both were, of course, total fluff. I ended up fast forwarding parts of Ella Enchanted because I couldn't stand the fluff. The Prince and Me was better, but whatever happened to the good fairy tale romances. They can't even make decent fluff for teenage girls these days. The only thing my princess movie binge accomplished, other than establishing I'm becoming cynical in my old age was about 5 inches of knitting on my second sleeve for the 2-Toned Sally Melville sweater from the Purl Stitch. I've decided that the sweater has been taking me so long, so before I get emeshed in the Madli shawl, I need to finish the second sleeve. I think second sleeve syndrom is even worse than second sock syndrome. I think on the next sweater. I'll make the back, a sleeve, the front and then the other sleeve. Perhaps it won't seem so horrible. So my goal for this weekend is to substantially finish the sleeve if not finish entirely. It will depend upon the other demands on my time this weekend...

I was going to come home last night and add a post, but I made the mistake of deciding to read "a few pages" of Debbie Macomber's book The Shop on Blossom Street. Thanks to Ann for passing it around amonst the knitters from our wednesday knitting group. I must apoligize to the next person who gets this book because there are probably tear stains from where I was practically sobbing yet couldn't bring myself to put the book down. I think it affected me so much because of the one of the story lines. My boss, who is very much a mentor to me, was having surgery to remove a tumor in her ovary today. She is only a few years older than me and she just had twins and although they don't know if the tumor is cancerous as of yet, it is still scary to think about. On the subject of the book, it was pure beach read fluff, but I believe there are some truths in it about knitters. I think about the women from knitting night. Except for Beth, whom I knew before, I don't think I would have met any of these women. They are wonderful and funny and we're brought together because our enthusiasm for knitting. If you've had a bad day, you can go on Wednesday nightand just let their conversations roll over you and you don't even need to speak. If you have good news, they are always there to cheer "Yeah you!" If you happen to get into a little fender bender with a weirdo, they'll stay and wait for the cops with you, even if it means that the weirdo is talking to them while you talk to the cute cop. So, next Wednesday, I'll pass the book on to the next reader and hope that they enjoy it as well.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have become cynical in your old age. It took me less than thirty minutes to find your blog. You need to turn on the atom feed in the preferences so that those of us who use RSS aggregators can know when you've updated your blog without having to actually pull it up!

    Jason Chappell

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger Teri said…

    Have you seen "Connie & Carla"? That's what Susan and I rented Friday night. It was really funny.

    You know, I kinda liked talking to the weirdo. It gave us something to do while waiting. Plus, it's not as though the cute cop figured prominently in my future. More power to you, I say!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home